Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bucks 105 Heat 97

6 Thoughts

1) What a tough night.  Not for the team - for me!  Spent an hour trying to help O.Minutos with his math homework - decimals, ugh!  Then watched the continuing implosion of the University of Connecticut's basketball season - they scored under 50 points for the second straight game.  Then watched LeBron go off for 24 in the first quarter, building a nice lead for Miami, only to see Milwaukee grind their way back into the game thanks to a ton of mindless turnovers, and lazy defense.  And thennn, early in the second half, the cable got janky, and I couldn't really see the rest of the game.  Gave up halfway through the third quarter with the Heat behind, and I guess they went on to lose.  Cable has been very, very janky lately - as a temporary measure, I am going to have to suspend dvr'ing games in favor of live action.  We're going to blitz through this, mostly because I don't know what happened in the second half.  Nor, at this point, do I care.  When do the playoffs start?  Jeez...

2) In Cleveland, he was "LBJ" - can't really call LeBron that.  "LeBron" is tough to type over and over because of the extra capital letter, and it implies a certain familiarity and affection that Heat fans don't really have for him.  Calling him "King James" is ridiculous, though he does have it stenciled on his bicycle.  I suggested calling him "The King," because it is dorky and funny, but M.Minutos suggested "KJ," like old Phoenix Suns point guard (and current mayor of - oh, no! -Sacramento) Kevin Johnson, which I love and is henceforth his name in this blog, or at least until I forget.  KJ finished with 40 on only 24 shots, and also 8 rebounds and 5 assists, but he also had 7 turnovers, most of them simply lazy, tired basketball.  And he had 24 in the first quarter, so he slowed down quite a bit.

3) Miami had 40 points in the first quarter, 37 in the whole second half.  That's not good.  We've lost to Milwaukee twice this season.  We can't handle Milwaukee!  Whatever you do, Miami, avoid Milwaukee in the playoffs!  If they make it... 

4) Got nothing from the role players tonight from what I could see: Haslem, Cole, Battier, and Miller combined for 7 points on 2-11.

5) The janky dvr and loss capped off a bad day overall.  Had two disturbing thoughts during the day (related to basketball; maybe about eight overall): one, I am really way too old to care about who wins a basketball game.  It's kind of creepy to be an adult and care about who wins a basketball game, no?  I notice I can't sustain any interest in any game not involving Miami - that's unusual for me.  Usually I have some kind of rooting interest, usually against someone, in any NBA game, but now, no, I can only watch for a few minutes.  Feels kind of creepy to get involved - bad enough to be involved with my own team...Second, and related to the first point: basketball is just going to keep going.  It goes and goes and goes.  One season ends, there is a short break, and then another season begins.  There is no freakin' exit plan in sight - it is just basketball from now until the end of time!  That is unbelievably depressing.  Basketball isn't going to stop itself - it won't stop until I stop it!  In general, this season is so much more enjoyable than last season - the team is off to a better start, I am used to LeBron and Chris, but really, like the team, I am just killing time waiting for the playoffs to start.  We either will win the title or we won't.  But the really daunting thing is the thought of having to watch a whole entire season after that.  And then another.  And then another.  This is awful...

6) You want to know how I got in this bad mood?  I mean, seriously?  Obviously, it wasn't the fuzzy dvr, that's a minor inconvenience.  It wasn't even the prospect of being in a never-ending hell-like cycle of basketball seasons.  I can just not watch.  What really got me upset was when Milt Romney trounced Newt Gingrich in the Florida primary yesterday.  Do you know what that means?  NO FREAKING MOON COLONY!  It's over.  Even if Gingrich can come back and win this thing, there is no fucking way he is going to let my state participate in the moon colony in any way.  Worse, Romney is probably going to win, and then we will continue to spend our money on stupid shit like education, national defense, and trying to make sure people have enough to eat.  But not a moon colony!  Jesus, do we ever suck in Florida - we killed the moon colony!!!
---
We'll be back Friday for a game vs Philadelphia, if my cable is working, and I am still watching basketball.  If you need me before then, I'll be starting up my own lobbyist group focused on the construction of moon colonies.  Don't worry about me, I'll be fine - don't you remember, I'll be slow-roasting a pork butt on Sunday!
-----