Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bulls 106 Heat 102

6 Thoughts

1) I'm glad this back-to-back is over.  These two nights were not fun at all.  I can't lie, I barely watched the fourth quarter, I got bored with the actual game, then fixated on reading people tweeting about the game, rather than watching the game itself.  Here's what I gathered: people really, really love Dwyane Wade with an intensity matched only by how much they really, really hate Chris Bosh and Mario Chalmers!...I don't know how many more basketball games I can watch in my life - I'm watching these playoffs, and then retiring.  Tweet at me what happens next season, okay?  Let's go!

2) The Heat seemingly caught a break tonight when Derrick Rose didn't play due to a sore groin, probably caused by the Chicago media, you know, "working" him.  A little more on his absence down in #5.  But, honestly, duh, his replacements, CJ Watson and John Lucas III are far inferior players, but they're probably peskier defenders, and tonight they both played more efficiently on offense than Rose usually does against Miami.  35 points on a combined 12-19 from those two - goodness gracious.  In fact, this game was a microcosm of this matchup, which is likely to play out again in the Eastern Conference Finals.  The Bulls are bigger, deeper, and more physical upfront, and for long periods of time, they can dominate the glass, and the defensive lane.  Rose is a very good player, but he gets a disproportionate amount of credit for his team's success: they win because they lock down and rebound.  Chicago crushed Miami on the boards 50-34 tonight.  But late in the game, after Chicago had seemingly pushed the lead out of reach, Dwyane Wade and KJ James erupted, particularly Wade, who went for 19 in the fourth quarter.  36 for Wade on 16-26; 35 for James on 14-25.  They didn't get any help - on nights where they do, it's tough for Chicago to beat those two guys.  On nights where Chicago can hold everyone else, like tonight, Chicago can win.  We'll see what happens in the playoffs, I suppose - in general, it's hard to believe that these aren't the two best teams in basketball. 

3) Chris Bosh was particularly putrid with a 3-15 and an absolutely pitiful 3 rebounds in 37 minutes.  I've had it with him again - this game doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but you'd just like to see him get up for the fight a little more often, even just for the hell of it.  At one point, Tony Fiorentino pointed out to Eric Reid that even a ton of missed shots in a row isn't going to faze Bosh.  But, in a way, that's exactly the problem when it goes bad.  Nothing ever fazes him - he just stays so freaking even.  You think he'd be shooting crappy and get mad at some point, and go get a rebound, or take a hard foul, or something.  But, no, he just keeps wandering along, shooting open jumpers, make or miss.  On the other hand, his eveness (eveninity?) probably serves him well when he is draining big jumpers late in games, which he does all the time - he's the Heat's most reliable fourth quarter shooter.  Such an enigma, Chris Bosh, you are coy, and you are unknowable!!!  Ahhh, well.  We'll see - if we win the title, all is forgiven.  If we lose the title, he won't be here next season anyways.

4) I never, ever do this, but this is a personal message for The Captain, because I'll forget to tell him tomorrow: Ed Pickney's son Austin is going to Northwood to play college basketball for Rollie Massimino next season!  Northwood is a college, right?  That's right next door to Dos Minutos International Headquarters!  We are so there!  Austin Pickney Fan Club!

5) Derrick Rose is a great player, but, goodness, he was wearing a blue suit, grey shirt, grey tie combo with mismatched patterns that looked like it came from T.J. Maxx for about $100, total.  Do they still have T.J. Maxx, by the way?  You wonder if he is scared to dress better for fear of being ridiculed by his teammate, noted homophobe Joakim Noah.  #queereyeforthestraightguy

6) "With all due respect" = "you are a jackapple, and I do not respect you"
---
Tough road trip continues Friday in Philadelphia.  Right now, I honestly could not be more tired of the NBA - just trying to make it to the end of the season for the playoffs to start.  I'm out of town next week, maybe that will recharge my batteries - need to ask Snets if he can replace me.  Yoooo, Snets, can you replace me next week?  If you need me before Friday, I'll by making my banners for Austin Pickney's home debut!  Only about 8 months away!
-----